My daughter loves lemon poppy seed muffins so I made up this cookie version for her.
Golden Lemon Poppy Seed cookies
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup melted vegan butter, I use miyoko's creamery european style cultured veganbutter, but if you can't get that you can use vegetable oil.
- 1 1/2 pure cane sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- rice milk if extra liquid is needed
Preheat oven to 375F
Combine all the dry ingredients into medium mixing bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, blend the sugar and melted butter until smooth. Mix in the lemons juice, zest and vanilla. Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet. The dough will be thick, if it is too dry, add some rice milk, 2 tablespoons at a time to get a dense but moist consistency.
Use a small spoon and scoop the dough into small balls and drop onto a parchement paper lined cookie sheet. bake at 375 F for 12-15 minutes, until the edges are golden brown.