Whole wheat berries are chewy, nutty, sweet and extremely satisfying. They make a great base for a salad. Let your creativity flow and add in what you like, or follow this recipe.
Wheat Berry Salad w/ crunchy sauerkraut
- 1 cup dried, whole wheat berries. Cook these like you would brown rice.
- 1/2 cup roasted cauliflower (see my recipe here)
- 2 scallions/ green onions, thinly sliced in rounds
- 2 Tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/8 cup dried currents
- 1/4 cup red cabbage sauerkraut (I used one fermented with juniper berries)
- 2 Tablespoons fruity olive oil
Cook wheat berries. Simmer 1 cup wheat berries with 3 cups water for about 1 hour. Let cool. Place in a large bowl, add in the rest of the ingredients and enjoy!